The Institute of Mathematical and Computational Engineering (IMCE) of the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (PUC) is calling for applications to a full-time academic position at the Associate or Full Professor level. It is expected that the selected candidate serves as Director of the Institute for a period of at least 5 years.
The Institute's mission is to promote and carry out teaching, research and extension in the field of Mathematical and Computational Engineering. The Institute is an interdisciplinary academic unit of PUC led by the Faculties of Engineering and Mathematics. It aims to become an international academic leader in modeling and analysis of complex problems in science, technology, and society through interdisciplinary research, thus connecting advanced mathematical modeling and analysis with various disciplines.
The specific lines of development of the IMCE include mathematical modeling and analysis of complex problems and their numerical solution through the implementation of high performance algorithms and computing using tools from fields such as Data Science, Uncertainty Quantification, Numerical Analysis, Control Theory, Partial Differential Equations, Stochastic Analysis, Optimization, Discrete Mathematics, Inverse Problems, Theory of Computing, among others.
Currently, faculty members of the Institute conduct research in these areas and the interdisciplinary effort has already generated important collaborations with several leading international centers. The candidate should be proactive in promoting and establishing new relevant academic international collaborations, double graduate degree programs, programs for international exchange of faculty and students. Application areas include essentially all fields of science and technology, geophysics, image processing, climate change, continuum and computational mechanics, astronomical instrumentation, optics and nanophotonics, biological and medical engineering, industrial problems and management sciences, social sciences, astronomical instrumentation, just to mention a few. The Institute is also responsible for the Major in Mathematical Engineering and the Civil Mathematical Engineering degree at the undergraduate level, and the creation of interdisciplinary M.Sc. and Ph.D. graduate programs in Mathematical and Computational Engineering.
Moreover, the candidate should meet all the characteristics of a faculty member of the Institute, i.e., develop an outstanding scientific and teaching career on the topics of the IMCE, with an internationally recognized leadership in some of the priority areas; a strong vocation and trajectory in knowledge transfer toward solving relevant societal and industry problems; a proven ability to attract external funding for research and technology transfer activities; a significant dedication to the training of new professionals and researchers; and a respect for the values that embody PUC.
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile is one of the leading research and educational institutions in Latin America and its Engineering and Math Faculties are very well ranked. As member of the Institute, the selected candidate should promote a collaborative environment. The IMCE has a very vivid and active research environment and interacts with top quality students (top 1-2%) in the country. Further information about the Institute can be found in http://imc.uc.cl , and about the University, in http://www.uc.cl .
The estimated date of incorporation to the position is during the second semester of 2019.
- A cover letter expressing the motivation to apply;
- A research statement indicating immediate and long-term goals in research. Please include details on potential collaboration networks with other researchers and plans for interactions with scientists in Chile and elsewhere;
- A statement indicating your plans for teaching. Please be as specific as possible, by giving examples of how you aim to transfer your knowledge to undergraduate and graduate students, and which courses would you teach;
- A statement describing why should you be considered for the position, potential goals and priorities as a future director of the IMCE. Please include details on any previous academic management experience and how would you use that experience in this position;
- An updated curriculum vitae;
- Copies of five of the most relevant publications of the candidate;
- Three letters of recommendation to be e-mailed directly by signatories to directorsearch.imc@uc.
cl or in MathJobs.Org along with the rest of the requested documentation.